Tuesday, August 10

Marilina


Marilina is one of the brightest women we've worked with. At 22, she's had to grow up fast. Her mother had to leave the community to find work as a housemaid in a town two hours away, so Marilina has assumed the role of head of household, taking care of her younger siblings as well as her own 11 month old daughter, Dariely. She is pregnant with her second child.

Baby Dariely

When Marilina graduated from high school, she was given a scholarship to continue to college. Soon after, she discovered that she was pregnant with Dariely, and so she had to give up her scholarship and instead stay in the batey to have her baby and help at home.

"In the future I'd like to attend college, and I'd like to learn English. I'm seeking help from Nest because I would like to have a better life and be able to give my children and my family a better future." -Marilina Remi